Wednesday, October 23, 2013

You Are A Bright, Colorful, Vibrant Rainbow

What Kind of Energy Are You Getting From Your Food?

I've mentioned before that I completely adhere to the philosophy that You Are What You Eat.  The energy of your food becomes your cells and tissues and bones and blood. So, in the most literal sense, you turn into what you eat.

Think about the difference in your energy level when you eat a salad versus when you eat a big greasy burger. Once I started thinking about the process of my body incorporating the energy of that food into every cell I have, I wanted to eat better. I want to be made up of vegetables and fruits and healthy grains and nuts and things that came from the earth. I don't want to be made up of grease and refined sugar (I'm already sweet enough :-) and chemicals and artificial things.

Also, think of the energy that went into creating the food you are eating. Without getting too graphic, we all know that conventionally raised meat and dairy products are the result of an intense and brutal life of suffering for the animals involved. So, that food has the energy of sadness and pain and fear. The energy of plants is much different.

A long time ago, I heard that dogs who are aggressive or anxious by nature should eat less meat protein, because meat protein promotes aggression, and plant-based food promotes calmness. That completely made sense to me when thinking about my dogs, but it took me a long time to apply that concept to my own eating habits. Now, I can really feel the difference in my demeanor depending on what I eat.

Here's an example: when I was a senior in high school, I was vegan. Not for very long, and I probably wasn't very "good" at it (I ate a lot of boca burgers and tortilla chips and not a lot of vegetables), but I did it for about a year. Honestly, I have never felt better. I still think back on that period of time and wish my digestion was in order like back then. I was maintaining a healthy weight and my stomach never hurt. I just felt good.

Since then, over the past 18 years, I have struggled with depression and anxiety and all kinds of digestive issues, not to mention back pain and irregular menstrual cycles and headaches and joint pain. I had the mentality that I was just unlucky...I was one of those people who was fragile and weak and had all kinds of health problems, and I just had to deal with it. After all, I was eating just like everyone else in America, and they all seemed to be fine.

But we're not fine, are we? Many of us are overweight, and cancer and diabetes and cardiovascular disease rates and depression are skyrocketing. I think there are very few people in this society who really know what it feels like to be healthy and feel great. I heard a statistic yesterday that on average, only 5% of the average American's caloric intake comes from fresh fruits and vegetables. Something like 60% comes from processed foods. That struck me as totally insane.

So, yesterday, I challenged myself to have a vegan day (with the exception of fish--because I feel that fish is one of my personal super foods). I didn't make any long term commitments or promises to myself. I just set a goal for one day. I will admit that last night all I wanted was a cheeseburger or toast smothered in butter, but I stuck to my plan and ate healthy vegetables and fruits and nut butters, and a piece of leftover salmon for dinner.

I woke up feeling like a new woman. My stomach felt great and I was full of energy and practically had a smile on my face when I opened my eyes. I honestly feel transformed. I am not saying I will never eat meat or dairy again, but I am definitely re-learning a lesson from 18 years ago about how good I can feel when I nourish my body in the proper way.

This morning, I was inspired to make vegan chili using all the vegetables I have in my house.


It took my about a half hour to put it all together, and it's still simmering right now. It made an enormous amount, and I'm sure it will be plenty for lunches for me for the rest of the week, and maybe a dinner for all of us. And I feel great about it. I loved chopping up all those veggies and feeling like I am setting myself up for good health for the next few days. I was excited while making it. I am just going to say it: vegetables make me happy.



Have a wonderful day, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment