Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Secret to Happiness

Running is not just a way to get exercise, at least not for me. The benefits of running extend far beyond the physical conditioning. Running has meaning.

I know not everyone has followed my exact path of complete lack of personal care to focusing on my health. But I know many, many people who think running is the ultimate challenge. I can't begin to count the number of people that roll their eyes or sigh in disbelief when the subject of running comes up. It just seems so hard.  And it is.

Running is the best cardiovascular workout there is. It is a full-body workout. Run once after not running for a while and see how sore your abs and arms are. Running is primal. We are born knowing how to run. Little kids would rather run than walk. Our ancestors ran to get places, and to hunt.

There are few other opportunities in life where you are getting so completely oxygenated yet have little to think about or focus on. I am always pleasantly surprised by the places my mind goes while I am running. Sometimes I just muse about little things, and sometimes I have huge, exciting epiphanies about my life.

I am always elated after a run. I always feel different and better after a run. And most of the change is mental. I feel relaxed and happy, and excited and confident. And proud.  You breathe fresh air, and connect with nature, and get sunshine on your skin to make Vitamin D, and see people you know.

It is not always easy to get out there and get started. In fact, there have been times that I sat outside with my running clothes on and cried because I wanted so badly to run and not to run at the same time. But the more you do it, the easier it gets. And once you get started, you will never regret it.

There is nothing else in life that can immediately change your mood, make you feel like a complete rockstar, and get your body healthier in such a short amount of time. I am convinced that running can cure depression in certain people, if they can just muster the energy to get started.

If you feel the slightest motivation to get outside and walk or run or jog or "hurry," as my mom says, do it. Immediately. Don't give your brain time to talk yourself out of it. Throw your shoes on and get started. You don't have to have a plan, or fancy gear, or an iPod, or Garmin. You just have to have 1 minute of motivation and the knowledge that it will change your life.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment