Thursday, October 10, 2013

Break All the Rules; Better Yet, Don't Have Rules!

I am thinking about that hilarious Little Caesar's commercial:

"There are no rules!"
"Put your shirt back on!"
"There's one rule!"

Anyway, there seems be a lot of rules when it comes to healthy living.

-No sugar
-No trans fat
-No saturated fat
-No while flour
-No red meat
-No artificial sweeteners or colors
-No preservatives
-No eating after 7pm
-No alcohol
-No pizza
-Exercise a minimum of 30 minutes every day

What really matters? What rules do we have to follow? What happens when we break the rules?

People who are focused on their health really want to do the right thing. And it's so much easier when we have guidelines. That's the whole premise of a diet--do these things, and you will lose weight. However, most people find it very hard to stick to those rules.  Personally, I feel that I mentally rebel when I'm told (or tell myself) that I can't do or eat something.

Supposed you wanted health advice, and you came to me and asked for help. How would you feel if I said, "You are never allowed to eat chocolate again," or "You are never allowed to drink beer again." Or red meat, or wine, or cheese. Whatever you love...you can't have it anymore.  My guess is, you would either politely tell me to go to hell, or you would adhere to my restrictive way of eating for a couple of day or weeks, but then eventually succumb to your cravings and go back to square one.

Wouldn't it be totally different if I said, "Try to only eat red meat twice a week," or "Chocolate is ok, but keep it to an ounce or two of high quality organic chocolate, and not every day." And, "You really should exercise as much as you can, even if that's only a 20-minute walk after dinner most days of the week." Or even, "Do the best you can five days a week, and do whatever you want on the other two days."

It's the difference between making restrictions, and finding a way of living that you can stick with for the rest of your life. I personally don't have any rules for myself. My guidelines for health are only doing what makes me feel my best and cutting myself some slack when I need to relax a little. I eat red meat, and I eat chocolate, and drink beer. But not too much. Five nights of the week, I am cooking healthy meals at home and doing my best to avoid sweets and get to bed early. When Bill wants to go get a burger and have a few beers, I do that too.

There is a huge difference between saying, "I'm doing this for a while to lose some weight, and then I'll be finished," and "I'm changing my eating and exercise patterns for the better, and will continue to do so forever." Figure out what you can handle. Some people can handle being vegan and only eating organic and raw foods and running marathons every weekend. I am not one of those people!  Get to know yourself. Figure out what you want and what your body needs to be healthy, and strike a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment