Saturday, October 26, 2013

Friday Night...Party Time!

So, my daughters had their long-anticipated Halloween Extravaganza last night (complete with a sleepover). I knew I was going to need to keep my energy up all day, so I made a point to eat especially well yesterday. I had a salad with salmon for lunch (hold the croutons and cheese, please), and then a bowl of vegan chili when I got home. I really felt great and happy and energetic all day.

Then the girls settled down to watch a movie, and the pizza and Halloween candy in the kitchen began to lovingly beckon me. I really felt like I deserved a reward for my hard work. I ate some pizza for dinner, and then I ate about 50% more pizza than I really needed or wanted...just because it was there and I was "cutting loose!"  Then Bill started eating little Snickers bars, so of course that means I can eat them, too, right? It is so amazing how we unconsciously enable each other.

The end result was that I went to bed with a headache and tummy ache, and I was incredibly grumpy. The contrast between the way I felt before and after eating that food was measurable. Eating the pizza actually gave me an asthma attack that lasted until this morning.

When I am eating well most of the time, I am much more sensitive to unhealthy foods. And it really highlights for me how bad that food really is. I think when I was eating badly all the time, I just didn't really know what it felt like to feel good...so there was no contrast.

Anyway, hopefully I can recover today and learn from my experience last night. I am really good at teaching myself lessons over and over again, aren't I?

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment