Friday, October 4, 2013

Update on my 'Confessions' Post from Yesterday

Last night, I was alone. This always send me into a tail spin. I am so used to having the kids and/or Bill around, that when the house is quiet I really feel discombobulated. I was starving, and really kind of sad. Perfect storm scenario for debauchery, right? I really had to focus on maintaining my commitment to the week of healthy evenings...let's call it Operation Stop-Letting-My-Crappy-Evenings-Ruin-My-Good-Days.  Writing that blog post about it really helped focus my efforts!

I forced myself to do some yoga, even though I was really hungry and grumpy. I knew I would feel more relaxed and centered. So I did. And I did.

Then, although I kept thinking I wanted greasy meat and cheese, I forced myself to make the dinner I had planned, which was butternut squash, corn, and yellow squash soup. The word on the street is that eating more "sweet" vegetables like squash will naturally calm sugar cravings--I was skeptical, to say the least. When I want a Hershey bar, butternut squash just doesn't have the same appeal.  However, the soup was fantastic and really, really satisfying.

THEN, and this is the real miracle, I had the strongest desire to go for a walk! Normally at night, I am so tired and run down, I can't imagine doing anything but sitting on the sofa and zoning out. Last night, I felt so energetic and happy, and genuinely calm. I put on my sneakers and headed out. Even though it was dark, it was really relaxing to be out in the quiet evening by myself, and I had a great time.

I came back, took a shower, and went right to bed, without even the thought of a beer or ice cream or M&Ms! Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment