Monday, November 25, 2013

I Must Be Crazy

That's the second time I've said that [publicly] this week. The first time was when I was at the animal shelter adopting my new adorable dog, Felicia. Let's pause for a moment to remark on how cute she is:


The second time I called myself crazy this week was about 7 pm on Saturday night, when I was having waves of dread regarding the race I was signed up to run on Sunday morning. There has never been a time...not once...that I haven't completely regretted signing up for a race. The dread usually starts to build a couple weeks beforehand, when I look at my calendar and sadly remember I can't plan anything fun for the Saturday night before the big day. Then it reaches a climax the night before, when I am suddenly overwhelmed with an urge to go clubbing or stay up all night watching movies, or a million other things that I never normally want to do.

This particular race, the Turkey Chase, is a 10K organized by local people with whom I am friendly. Last year was the inaugural year, and I was registered to run. I woke up sick the morning of the race and decided to stay in bed, which I bitterly regretted for a long time afterward. I was determined not to miss it this year, so I forced myself to go to bed early and set the alarm for 5:30 a.m., and power through.

I woke up feeling great on Sunday morning. Really unusually good..full of energy, and in a good mood. I actually surprised myself. I relaxed and stretched and cuddled with my dogs and chatted with Bill (while lovingly encouraging him to get off the sofa and get ready to go--he has a tendency to wait until it's 10 minutes before we need to leave and then try to go to the bathroom, brush his teeth, get dressed, walk the dogs, prepare a bottle of water, etc...I guess he feels like he works best under pressure).

As you may recall, yesterday was the coldest day ever anywhere in the history of the universe. Ok, I may be exaggerating, but it sure felt that way when I was standing outside waiting for the race to start. I just decided to make it fun, and do my best, and keep a smile on my face. Both my sister and my hubby were volunteering as course marshals, so I felt really supported and safe and happy.

I took it slow and steady and just remembered to enjoy myself. Once I warmed up, I could appreciate how beautiful and sunny it was, and there was a nice, jovial atmosphere in the crowd as we all tried not to succumb to hypothermia.

I really had one of the best runs of my life. It wasn't particularly fast (4 minutes faster than the Clyde's 10K I ran in the spring), but I was happy and felt great the entire time! And, as always happens after I finish a race, I was so thrilled to have done it! It is such a huge confidence boost and I feel so happy and proud and motivated for days afterward.

Running is a huge psychological paradox...at least for me. I loathe it and dread it, but then I love it and can't wait to do it again. Running organized races is such a great place to receive support, and be supportive of others. There are always a million people who are way, way faster than you, and many who are far slower, also. It's a good reminder of where you stand, and where you want to go.

It's easy in this cold weather to become a little bit of a couch potato. I certainly have that tendency myself. But being forced to get out there in less-than-ideal conditions and do something awesome is an great way to keep yourself on track.

Have a great Thanksgiving week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment