Friday, November 15, 2013

Holiday Survival Guide

If you're anything like me, the upcoming holidays strike equal parts fear and anticipation into your heart. I am happily anticipating the time with friends and family, the time off work, and of course the delicious food. I am fearing the bloat and lethargy from overeating, and kicking off a long-term no-holds-barred eating extravaganza that won't end until I wake up dazed and confused on New Year's Day, wondering where the extra 20 pounds came from.

Sound familiar??

In the past, I've had an all-or-nothing attitude about this issue--either I am going to enjoy the holidays, eat whatever I want, and kick health and wellness to the curb for a couple of months, OR I am going to muster all my willpower and pick over the carefully prepared food and field a thousand questions from my family about why I am not eating anything, and be generally miserable.

This year, I vow to plot a new course for myself, and I invite you to join me!

I will model this new course on my favorite and most practical concept of moderation. I have actually accomplished this a couple times in past years, and I still remember those times as the happiest holiday experiences I have ever had. I didn't have the stress of knowing I was packing on the pounds, I had tons of energy, and I felt happy and in control.

How shall we do it?? It will take a little extra thought, and a small amount of effort, but the difference in the way you feel will be well worth it!

1. Make indulgences matter. Don't mindlessly stuff your face with the crappy caramels your aunt Edna has out on the coffee table, or the mediocre boxed cheese danish your mom is serving for brunch before the real meal. Save your calories for the main event, and really enjoy the food your family (or you) took so long to prepare!

2. Eat carefully for other, less important meals. Make a point to have a really light and healthy breakfast before you head off to see your family, and get your day started off on the right foot. The night before, have a light dinner packed with vegetables to get your system cleaned out and ready to handle the big meal the next day. You will enjoy the experience so much more if you aren't miserable with feeling overstuffed.

3. Keep exercising! Your digestive system works best, and you burn the most calories, when you maintain a regular exercise program. Don't forget to go for a walk or run the morning of the big day, so you are prepped for some extra calories. There are several local runs and races on Thanksgiving morning (and the weekend before Thanksgiving) to get you motivated.

4. Choose your food wisely. Take a step back and really study your choices before filling your plate. You don't have to take everything, and you should avoid things that aren't delicious and just fill you up with empty calories. Although there are dinner rolls and butter being offered, remember those are pointless and you can have them anytime. Focus on the really special things that you love and only have once or twice a year.

5. Remember your veggies. One of the great things about holiday meals is that there is usually a great variety of vegetables being offered. Squash, green beans, pumpkin, cranberries--ok, most of these are technically fruits, but you get the point. Maybe try making your servings of stuffing and gravy a little smaller, and increase your veggie portions.

Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment