Thursday, December 5, 2013

Moods and Foods

I know it may be hard to believe, but I wasn't always this cheerful and loving.

There was a [long] period of time in my life when I was grumpy, moody, unhealthy, and had a terrible temper. I can remember feeling that flash of anger or annoyance at something, and bracing myself for what was to come--I felt that I had no control over it. And everyone in my family, including my pets, suffered.

Fast forward to today--I can't remember the last time I was really angry or lost my temper. I feel totally in control of how I let myself react to negative things in my life. When my boss says something that really pushes my buttons, I have no problem just taking a deep breath and going in the other room until the unpleasant conversation is over. Or when a certain dog with the initials of Rocky Hicks gets into the litter pan for the third day in a row, right after I've finished vacuuming, I can just sigh and clean it up.

I didn't even really realize the change had happened until I was recently telling someone a story about something that happened several years ago and I could remember so vividly the anger I felt back then, and it was so foreign to me now. It made me wonder what the difference is between now and then. I didn't go to therapy or do any serious soul-searching on this issue--it just sort of faded away.

Of course being in a happy marriage and having the two greatest kids in the world help a lot, but I think the biggest difference is in the way I eat and exercise. Back then, in the "angry years," I was morbidly obese (that was an actual medical diagnosis--I'm not just being dramatic), and I ate very badly. There was virtually nothing raw or natural in my diet. I subsisted on fast food, meat, highly refined carbs, and loads of sugar. I always had a stomach ache, my back always hurt (sometimes to the point where I couldn't stand up), and I felt awful pretty much all the time.

The things you ingest into your body dictate your mood, to a large degree. Some people are more sensitive to this phenomenon than others, but it is definitely a fact. Meat, especially red meat, is thought to promote aggression. Sugar and refined carbohydrates create enormous blood sugar swings that bring the emotional highs and lows with which we are all familiar.

Find foods that keep you even keeled. Personally, I feel amazing when I eat vegetables and protein and avoid refined carbs. I feel steady and calm and happy. Fish, in particular, makes me feel incredible, especially when combined with raw greens. Once you start noticing how foods affect your mood, you will want to eat healthier. It only takes a little extra effort to pay attention to what will make you feel good, and it's so much easier to make better decisions to support yourself. And an important detail is to make decisions based on what makes YOU feel good. Trying to follow a diet that someone else created is not necessarily going to help you be healthier, because we are all so different. Listen to your body.

Exercise & Depression

I am convinced that exercise is a largely untapped resource in treating depression. We all know that scientists have discovered the actual chemicals that are released in your brain during exercise that literally make you feel happier. But getting healthy and stronger is also a huge self-confidence boost. Getting your blood fully oxygenated gives you more energy, helps you think more clearly, and improves pretty much every aspect of your physiology. No one ever finishes a great workout and feels unhappy. And a bonus is that when you are exercising regularly, you are naturally motivated to eat better.

Have a great, happy day!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with all of this. There is something to be said, however, for the simple fact of aging and having a broader perspective on the world. I am not nearly as angry because I just don't have the mental energy to waste on losing battles or anger anymore. But I do feel a heck of a lot better when I'm eating better.

    ReplyDelete